Sunday, February 1, 2009

Good Dog

Sometimes my dog takes me for walks.  I follow her insatiable nose where it leads and clean up the fun stuff she leaves behind.  We go on these walks because she dances and snorts whenever I get close to my sneakers and generally looks so stifled and sad that I cannot leave her inside any longer.  
Then some nights, I take her for walks.  Nights where she is already curled up tighter than cinnamon bun (and about the same color), with snout indiscernible from tail.   No matter how sleepily she may look at me, though, she obliges my desire to stroll through the dark neighborhood.  Good dog.  
Last night happened to be such a night. The moon called, you see.  When it is clear enough in Seattle to see the moon, one must not waste time.  Leash on, shoes on, puffy jacket on, and soon, the attendant peace of boots going crunch crunch over frosted grass, and the dear dog nose going whiff whiff through every bush.  
The rhythm of walking tends to take the edge off of unruly thoughts, giving a cadence to their disorder.  Step.  Step.  Step.  stop and sniff.  Step. Step. Step.  Moon above, cold air, keep moving.  I didn't expect midnight revelations, only the mild refreshment of the winter evening, so I was surprised at 195th and 3rd to sense things had gotten real quiet inside me.  

I am so tired, I said.  
I know, You said.  
I hated Greek, I said, wincing.  
But something else whispered alongside the wince. 
I could go, I said, though I'm not sure why.  
All the while we walked, little dog on the left leading the way through the dark.  Stopped to shit.  Kept going.  
Well then, I said to the still night and to my still self, Princeton in the fall is beautiful.  

Back at home while the steam from a cup of steeping tea drifted into my face, and the little red dog had tucked her head into her side, I opened my hands and released  greek verbs and exegetical papers and research conferences to the Spirit's keeping.  It will be the work of the Spirit, after all, if I make it back to school again, so I will go on walks during the in-between time.  Step. Step. Step.  

And though the last lights off the black West went
     Oh, morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs--
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
    world broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings.  

Gerard Manley Hopkins

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Many places are beautiful in the fall. I am glad you are walking, this morning I thought I smelled spring but then I realized it was the deodrant of Scott's t-shirt I stole and wore to bed.

Also, I dreamt you were drowned and eaten by a crocodile at night. You fell in the river. He grabbed your back and spun you to death.

I woke up crying.

Kelli said...

Reflecting on my dream, it sounds like I miss you.

Susan May said...

Hi, you don't know me but I just happened to find your blog. I am an American, but I live in Switzerland, and it makes me happy to read about life in the U.S. You have a lovely way with words and I wanted to thank you for blogging, and encourage you to keep it up. I walk with my dog, too - here in Zurich - and this recent piece resonated with me. God bless.

Ruth said...

Sarah.

I think I finally figured out how to post a comment via Blogger. (Wordpress is so much easier!) But then again, I am known for my technological genius. *Guffaw*

You are a delight. And not floating in space. You are in a Place and have a very near Friend. I am glad that He went on a walk with you and Leah. Giver her a smooch for me!

Kelli said...

Okay, I love Susan May and wanted you to know I did yoga this morning. :)

Livin in tension,

kel