Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Call Me

And now this very One is calling you and me also: where are you? Do you hear me? Yes, you can hear me perfectly well!  There are many other people and things that you cannot hear and even need not hear.  But you must hear me.  And in fact you do hear me.  You simply would not be human and I would not be God if you could not hear me. 
But what does he say to us if he calls us?  By and large, only this one thing: Call me!  That is the gracious permission that I give you.  But it is also the strict command which comes to you from me: For this I make you; for this you are free.  You may, you shall do this--but only in the proper way:
 Call me in the day of trouble. 

-Karl Barth, "Call Me", Deliverance to the Captives

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Obedience is hard. Sometimes I do not want to call out but I get to.
Good night, love.